Day 34: Liver tumour? (Thursday 1 December)

Another ho-hum day.

Mum arrived last night and she’s already taken the first load of washing to do – woo hoo! Not to mention bringing a suitcase full of stuff that I asked for (as well as just a few things that I didn’t). So now at least Brad has some Mad Men DVDs to keep him occupied (I’m busy waiting for Series 5 to come out), we have a good supply of Cheezels, salt and vinegar chips and Tim Tams (obviously only to be eaten in moderation since none of that is exactly food that’s good for combatting cancer!) and there’s prunes, almonds, fruitcake, supplies from the chemist and so on – all things to help us feel just a little bit more human.

A few other treats came in mum’s suitcase. I received a really lovely hand-made scarf from our long-time family friend Vera. It has just the touch of colour that I need to help brighten me up – thank you thank you thank you. We also got the most excellent invitation to my brother Glenn and his fiancée Linda’s wedding. The two will be wed in Las Vegas next year and the invitation has come out as a poker chip – I love it!!! Nice work indeed.

Liver metastasis?

This morning I had an ultrasound first up to check on the status of my gallstone. It is the same size as it has been for ages (at least a year or more) so nothing too interesting there. I didn’t find out anything else from the scan – maybe the doctors did, but they didn’t share anything with me. The radiologist doing the scan murmured something about a tumour in my liver – now there’s an interesting question. After various ultrasounds, plus the CT and PET that were done in Perth, no one to date has been able to tell me whether I actually have a tumour in my liver or not. The best information I have received is that there is a kidney tumour adjacent to and possibly abutting the liver, although it may actually be a tumour in the liver but they can’t tell. Very frustrating indeed. I would like to know whether I have another organ going down the gurgler or not. I impressed upon Allison and the doctors to pin down the radiologist as to what he actually saw on the screen but there were no definitive answers forthcoming.

I was sore all day – tight and uncomfortable – an obvious hangover from the HiFU from yesterday. I had SPDT then really spiralled downwards. I got a fever after SPDT and sweated through the infusions of DCT, KLT and the others. I did manage to sleep through a lot of the afternoon which was something, at least. Although we didn’t get back to the hotel til seven I was relatively well rested. We had a basic meal in the hotel of braised beef, rice and green veges because it was just too cold to venture out.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s