Day 42: Disappearing Dumpling Lady (Friday 9 December)

Thank goodness my general feeling and demeanour improved significantly from yesterday. Today was a much better day.

Today is the day for my first progress PET scan. I won’t get the results until either tomorrow or Monday.  Fingers crossed. And toes. And everything else.

I had to do SPDT early at 730am today because I was told that the contrast for the PET scan could interfere with the efficacy of the sensitising agent for the SPDT. So it was SPDT first, then off to the scanning area on level one for the PET. The procedures seemed the same as the ones that I’ve had to follow in Australia, so that was reassuring. Mum and Brad waited patiently while I was indisposed as I could not talk or move for 40 minutes after the contrast injection. The scan itself was quite quick and then finally I got to have my first food of the day after it was all over (I seized on the apple that Mum had in her bag).

Around mid-day we were back at the hotel with the rest of the day clear from any further treatment. We had a bit of lunch then I went to bed for the afternoon and stayed there til after 6pm. Mum went off walking and exploring and Brad was head-down-bum-up working away on the computer. I think I chose the better use of time for the afternoon!

Each week we try and reserve one night when I’m feeling well to go to the dumpling place (the one where the lady speaks a little English). This week, tonight was the night. At seven we set off for dinner and easily got a cab to drop us near the restaurant. We walked around the complex where the restaurant is located passing the many jewellery stores, McDonalds and a Subway on the way. Mum was relieved that we were not taking her out for Subway.

I was expecting to see more lights on the strip beyond the Subway – it seemed unusually dim. The tea place was lit and open and the dumpling place is right next door. Don’t tell me it’s closed! We arrived at the restaurant and got a very rude shock. The restaurant was closed tonight – there was no doubt about that. But the premises had also been gutted in the week or so since we’d been there and there was no sign of the delightful dumplings or the people who served. We were devastated! We wanted to show Mum a slightly different style of Xian cuisine, and chow down on some dumplings and eggplant with tomato ourselves. It was not to be. We ended up eating at another place close by with questionable hygiene standards and where each dish that we ordered came with at least a cup of oil per plate. Though I did quite like the style that one chef displayed – he wore his PJs under his chef’s whites. Guess it’ll speed things up for him when he gets home to bed!

Advertisements

9 Responses to Day 42: Disappearing Dumpling Lady (Friday 9 December)

1. Tonya says:

Everything I can possibly cross is crossed! Don’t get off the rollercoaster yet. It is still in motion.

2. Kim Simpson says:

Our fingers, toes and everything are crossed for positive results Jaye because we don’t want you to die now either! Be strong our dear friend, you can get through this and when you do I sense a bright future for many cancer oatients and it will be thanks to you and I will be proud to say that I know you and love you! 🙂

3. Nick Mastaglia says:

Aymee and I are thinking of you, Jaye.

Big hugs and looking forward to seeing you soon!

4. Christina says:

Hang in there gorgeous girl! We are all here sending you as much love and light as we can. Hope to hear good news early next week. Much love to you all.

5. Teresa says:

Keep fighting honey:) We have everything crossed for you. Talk soon… Teresa & Robert

6. Laurie Dolan says:

You continue to amaze me, Jaye! And I am so happy that your Mom is with you right now as well. Knowing how hard the care giver role is, it is good to share the joy, right?? Sorry about your dumpling lady being gone! I continue to pray (in my own weird way) that the treatment is working. I picture you as a happy 70 year old, looking back on all of this as if it was someone else’s life.

No need to ever answer my comments. . . I just continue to send love your way, and want you to save all possible energy for getting healthy and well.

Love!!!

Laurie

7. Danielle Bevins says:

Keeping my fingers and toes crossed for good news. xx

8. Fiona and Martin says:

Day 42 sounds much better than Day 41, despite the lack of dumplings!

We are with you all the way.

Love Martin, Fiona and Monty

9. Rachael Kalajzich says:

Hi Jaye and Brad, we are thinking of you and checking in on you daily…we hope that little talisman is rewarding you with extra good luck for returning it to the comforts of its long lost homeland…having been stuck in a little box here for all those years among so many random treasures. As the rain pours down in Perth in a most unseasonal fashion, we hope all bodes well for you both, so far away right now, for your speedy return home for Christmas. Love from Rache, Tobes and Gogo x